You may not finish all the cornbread you’ve made in a single day. What happens the next day? The bread becomes dry and crumbly.
This can be disappointing especially if you don’t like throwing food away. It would be a waste to do that especially if the corn bread has not gone bad. You may also want to incorporate your cornbread into your next meal.
I recently discovered a secret on how to enjoy your leftover cornbread muffins. All is not lost after freezing your bread. You just need to reheat it in a way that doesn’t make it dry out.
How to reheat cornbread is something that everyone should learn. You know how good cornbread tastes when it’s straight out of the oven. It’s warm, moist and tasty. Everyone has a different recipe that they use to make their bread.
Some people stick to techniques passed down to them by their parents or guardians. Others Google or just try different things to get the perfect method. Some people can afford to buy an advanced oven with built-in reheating programs.
It doesn’t matter how you make your quick bread, provided it’s delicious.
Here are my top 3 methods of reheating cornbread in the oven.
In Toaster Oven
The toaster oven can come in handy when you want to reheat your quick bread. If you like your food to be crispy at the edges, then you will love the results you’ll get with this kind of oven.
You’ll use the same procedure as when heating your cornbread using the conventional oven.
The best toaster oven models usually have a rack inside it, and this is where your cornbread muffins will go.
- Heat up the oven to 350°F.
- Put your quick bread inside the baking dish. You should cover the bowl with aluminum foil before you begin the heating process.
- Give it 20 mins and then take the bread out.
One tip when using a toaster oven is to test it on the small amount of corn bread to see whether it is warmed evenly. Some people say their oven unevenly heats up the food, burns or overcooks it. That’s why you need to test your appliance to make sure everything is okay.
Although there are different options for reheating your quick bread, the oven is the best one. A conventional oven can get your quickbread to the soft state it was in when you had just baked it.
- If you had refrigerated your bread, then the first thing you should do is to thaw it. Allow it to get back to room temperature before you can proceed.
- The next step is preheating your oven. The recommended temperatures for warming up cornbread muffins, bread or scones is 350°F.
- Put the slices of bread on the baking sheet or in the dish you used to bake it. Use aluminum foil to cover the cornbread muffins. You can now put the bread in the oven.
- Give the quick bread around 10 to 20 minutes. Check the cornbread to ensure it’s as warm as you want it. If you are satisfied with the results then and then take it out, let it cool and enjoy it.
In Microwave Oven
As great as the oven is in reheating bread, the process of warming up takes time. That is why there is another option which is the microwave. You will have soft, warm bread but in the quickest amount of time.
It is important to note that not every dish should be used to warm food in a microwave. Therefore, get a microwave-safe plate for heating your quick bread.
- Put your cornbread on the plate and place the plate inside the microwave.
- 20 to 30 seconds is the recommended time for which you should warm bread in a microwave. However, this also depends on the size of your cornbread muffins. It can take longer if the muffins are bigger. The correct amount of power for this process is 50%.
- Check the corn bread before taking it out to be sure that it is warm. If it’s not to your desired temperature, then you can heat it up for a few more seconds.
- Once you are satisfied with how warm and soft they are, you can remove them from the microwave and eat them.
Did you know that you could heat up cornbread in a frying pan? This seems to surprise most people, yet the method can leave you with warm and crunchy muffins or bread. All you need is a pan or skillet from your best cookware set.
You can serve your warm bread with hot soup, roast beef or mashed potatoes and have a complete meal. If you are looking for comfort food to eat during the winter, then this is a great choice.
- Start by heating your pan on medium heat. If you are warming up your bread with different kinds of food, then you should put the food in the pan. If it’s just your quick bread, then you can pour oil or butter in the skillet and twirl the frypan to help the oil spread to the edges too.
- Put the corn bread in the pan and let it get warm.
- Turn it over and let the other side heat too.
- After 10 to 15 minutes of doing this, your bread will be ready, and you can remove it from the pan.
The muffins will be crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. Some people prefer this compared to having it all soft.
What Is Cornbread?
Most of us are familiar with the bread made from yeast or eggs. However, there is a type of bread that does not require these two leavening agents. That is what we refer to as the cornbread or quickbread.
Leavening products are essential because they help to make the dough and batter light and soft. People discovered that you can still prepare your bread without using eggs or yeast to give them softness and texture. That is how the idea of quick bread was born.
Some people prefer cornbread because it can be prepared quickly. You can also rely on the fact that the bread will come out fine even if you do not use the bread machine.
The ordinary yeast bread needs a lot of time and skilled labor to come out great, and they rely on climate control. If you decide to go with quick bread, you won’t worry about these issues.
Cookies, muffins, cakes, pancakes, scones, banana bread and soda bread are examples of quickbread that you can bake. There are a lot of recipes available online. Some are even a bit on the wild side, like the cornbread waffles with chili.
It is challenging to heat up the cornbread because the absence of eggs and yeast means that the bread cannot remain soft or light for long. However, there are warming methods you can use that will not dry it out.
Here is a quick and easy cornbread recipe from Fifteen Spatulas.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can cornbread be frozen?
Yes! You can freeze your cornbread, and it will be good for another 2-3 months. Just make sure the cornbread has cooled down to room temperature, then wrap it with aluminum foil or freezer bag, and put it in the freezer.
How to reheat frozen cornbread?
Take it out of your freezer and let it thaw. Then warm it up using any of the methods I described.
You no longer have to throw out leftover cornbread or eat it cold and dry. The four methods we’ve mentioned can help you enjoy warm, soft and crispy bread depending on which one you choose.
You can go through the various options and see which one is perfect for you. Look at the heating appliance you have and the results you want. These will guide you in making the best decision on how to reheat cornbread without making it dry.
Have fun warming up your quick bread!