Pies are one of the staple dishes that you can find in any occasion or celebrations. Though it may be a common sight during parties, special attention is given in baking one.
There is a wide range of choices in pies, you may opt for traditional apple pie recipe or banoffee pie, or unconventional aloo pie (popular pie in Trinidad and Tobago).
You may even make a pie from bacon and egg, best eaten during breakfast. You may choose to have your pie in sweet or savory flavor, depending on your preference and ingredients you put into it. You can mix the ingredients manually, or you can use a food processor.
Whatever way you may choose to have your pie, make sure it will taste great so everyone can enjoy and dig into it. Always remember to choose the best ingredients to complement your baking.
Styles of Apple Pies
Apple pie, one of the most recognized pies in the world, is very easy to do. Of course, the taste will also depend on the ingredients you use and how fresh they are. How you proceed in baking it has an effect on its flavor, as well.
It can be baked in various styles. If you are on the traditional side, you may prefer baking an American style pie. For anything else, you can choose between the Dutch style and Swedish style.
Now, let’s take a look at how this most loved pie can be made. Remember that the recipe below is just a suggestion for baking an apple pie, but should you choose (or even invent or create your own) another recipe that would be great too!
The Ingredients you will need for your pie:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup shortening
- 4 tablespoons cold water
Ingredients for Filling
For the best part, the filling, you will need:
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled baking apples
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening. Slowly put in cold water, one tablespoon at a time, tossing gently with a fork until the dough is formed as a ball. Leave and let it chill for half an hour.
- After letting it sit for 30 minutes, you now have to roll the chilled dough in 10 inches circle. It is very advisable to roll the dough in a floured surface e.g. large cutting board (this will avoid the dough in sticking unto the surface). Place the rolled dough into a 9-inch pie pan.
- In a bowl, combine apple and lemon juice. In a separate bowl, throw in sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Mix this with the apple and lemon juice. After combining all the ingredients, pour into crust; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit the top of the pie. Cut off any excess. Place over filling, then seal and flute edges.
- Combine egg yolk and water, and beat them. Use this to brush over the pastry.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or more, or until the crust has gold color and the filling is bubbly.
- Share and enjoy!